THE MONDAY MIX
Headlines Discussed at LNWM’s Monday Morning Briefing
Week of Jan. 6 – 12, 2014
- U.S. unemployment dropped to 6.7% in 2013 (from almost 8% in 2012), mainly because more Americans stopped looking for work and therefore aren’t being counted as unemployed. Close to 63% of Americans were recently in the labor force (working or looking for work), a 35-year low.
- Eurozone unemployment remained at a record high 12.1% (as of Nov. 2013), unchanged since last April.
- World food prices fell 1.6% in 2013; now 8.8% off the 2011 peak.
- Janet Yellen was confirmed as Federal Reserve Chair by the U.S. Senate.
- Last year, 3,659 federal regulations were approved, but only 65 laws were passed; a ratio of 56:1
Disclaimer: Clicking on any of the above links will take you away from the Laird Norton Wealth Management web page and to the source page. While we believe the information in these articles is relevant, we cannot guarantee its accuracy or completeness.